Re: Hibernating To Swap Considered Harmful

On Saturday, 14 July 2007 02:45, Joseph Fannin wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 13, 2007 at 11:30:50AM +0200, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

> > > I'm suggesting a dedicated, preallocated hibernation *file*, right
> > > now.  There's no way around it, if hibernation is to be reliable --
> > > otherwise hibernation can fail if the system has used enough of its
> > > swap space, so that there isn't enough room to write the hibernate
> > > image.
> > >
> > > Even if it's desirable to allow hibernation to fail if the system is
> > > too deep into swap, it's a moot point.
> >
> > If you're afraid of that, use a dedicated swap file.
>
>     I don't understand what you mean.  A dedicated swap file for what?

Sorry, I should have been more precise.

For hibernation (ie. a swap file that you activate right befor the
hibernation).

Also tuxonice (formerly known as suspend2) allows you to use regular files
hibernation.

Greetings,
Rafael

--
"Premature optimization is the root of all evil." - Donald Knuth