Re: [realtime-preempt] [x86_64] HR_TIMER and/or DYNTICKS cause an early boot freeze

Maarten Maathuis wrote:
I have determined that version 2.6.22.1-rt2 freeze after:

NET: Register protocol family 2

This is very early in the boot stage, and i cannot determine what
exactly causes it.

It happens if either high resolution timers or dynamic ticks are active.

There's a race in there somewhere, and it seems to come and go
depending upon exactly how the kernel is configured, and possibly
on which things end up on which cache lines.

First reported by me here (below), and never resolved.
Currently it's not happening with my kernels, but it does reappear
from time to time: