Re: kernel autoconfig option?

Thanks, greg... Just wondering... If this topic comes up every 6
months or so -seems like there is a "need" for this sort of thing.
Wonder why it has not been implemented yet? Especially if as you say
the system calls are out there already to do it -when you know the
right commands to type in.

Just curious... In my never ending quest to make Linux accessible to the masses
:-)

I'll look up the info and try what you suggested.

On 7/12/07, Greg KH <[email protected]> wrote:
On Thu, Jul 12, 2007 at 11:02:15AM -0400, Mark Shelby wrote:
>  That's an excellent idea. I am still thinking along the lines of
>  "idiot proof simplicity." It would be nice to have a configure script
>  that scanned your system board, sound card/chip various input ports,
>  etc, and went ahead and preselected those to build when you type
>  "make.
>
>  If you could combine this with the make "allmodconfig" command in a
>  user friendly interface, I think you'd really be on to something!
>  --as long as it's still configurable after the preselected choices are
>  made.

Check the archives, this comes up every 6 months or so.

Also, you can just use the simple scripts as described in the book,
"Linux Kernel in a Nutshell", free online, to do most of what you are
looking for here (automatic detection of what driver is needed for what
device.)

good luck,

greg k-h