Manually invoke IPv6 router solicitation messages

Hi,

Is there a way to manually make the kernel send IPv6 router solicitation
messages? At the moment the kernel will send a few messages after the
interface is brought up and then never again, no matter if it succeeded
or failed to autoconf the device.

Background:
I use wpa_supplicant to connect to wireless and I use ifplugd/netplug to
manage my wired network.
Both tools bring the interface up and immediately the kernel tries to
autoconfigure them, even the cable is not plugged in or the wireless
connection is not yet established. When the connection is finally
brought up, the autoconfig already failed and I have to wait until the
router is so nice to send a router advertisement message by itself.

Does it make sense to have a syscall or /proc entry that makes the
kernel send such a message, or do you suggest having a userspace tool to
send those messages when needed?

Sascha Hlusiak

(Please CC me, since I'm off-list)