pnp_assign_resources() issue

Adam,

I'm having some difficulty understanding why failure to probe for a resource
(in the given case, a DMA channel, but the issue is perhaps more generic) must
always result in failure of the probing of the requesting device. In any case,
the driver is required to call request_dma(), and in many cases the driver may
know how to deal with the device even if that call fails (in the given case,
parport_pc can be used as an example). Shouldn't therefore pnp_assign_dma()
be made never fail, and just mark the resource as unset/disabled if none of
the options were available? I realize drivers may not really look at these flags,
but I'd think this is a driver issue then and shouldn't keep the framework
from supporting as many different systems as possible.

Thanks, Jan