REQUEST_SENSE and ide-cd.c

I am adding transparent ATAPI capability to USB gadget Mass Storage driver. The idea is to pass USB traffic to block device queue as packet requests. At the end of the queue, the requests are handled by ide-cd.c driver.

It breaks when the ide-cd.c driver unconditionally generates REQUEST_SENSE for requests that ended in unit attention condition.

By clearing the drive's unit attention condition, this additional REQUEST_SENSE confuses the host, which fires it's own REQUEST_SENSE packet, to which the drive replies with NO SENSE.

I can see three solutions:

1. Intercept the sense data returned by ide-cd.c and emulate unit attention condition in file_storage.c driver;

2. Introduce a new request flag causing ide-cd.c to skip calling cdrom_queue_request_sense() for flagged requests, like below:

    cdrom_decode_status() 2.6.12:
    -    if (stat & ERR_STAT) {
    +    if (stat & ERR_STAT && !(rq->flags & REQ_NO_AUTOSENSE)) {
             spin_lock_irqsave(&ide_lock, flags);
             blkdev_dequeue_request(rq);
             HWGROUP(drive)->rq = NULL;
             spin_unlock_irqrestore(&ide_lock, flags);
             cdrom_queue_request_sense(drive, rq->sense, rq);
         } else
             cdrom_end_request(drive, 0);

3. Acknowledge that ide-cd.c was not meant to work as in (2) and search for another mechanism. Where?

(1) would unnecessarily duplicate the drive's state. I'd rather do (3).

So far, the (2) works well, but how bad is it?
I'd greatly appreciate any critical feedback.

TIA,
Piotr Muszynski