Re: ASUS P5B

Piotr wrote:
Hello i have a problem with my ASUS p5b mobo, i am a gentoo user and i'm
getting this error while booting my system from newest gentoo-sources
2.6.22 (this also happens on earlier ver. of kernel) i get this message:

"PCI: BIOS Bug: MCFG area at f0000000 is not E820-reserved
PCI: Not using MMCONFIG."

and i dunno how can this be fixed, i can start to boot my kernel with
nommconf but i don' like to have problems like that, and maybe some of
you ppl have a better solution for this problem?

It's not a huge problem, it mainly just means that extended PCI Express configuration space can't be accessed, and that doesn't seem to be used much currently.

Actually, the E820 validation check in mainline currently is too strict as the MMCONFIG area is not required to be reserved in the E820 table. There's a patch in the -mm tree to validate this against ACPI motherboard resources instead, as well as a fix to a PCI probing issue that caused problems on some Intel boards with MMCONFIG enabled. You can try an -mm kernel and see if this is resolved.

--
Robert Hancock      Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from [email protected]