Re: SMART problems in 2.6.22

On Tue, 10 Jul 2007, Douglas Gilbert wrote:

Kai Makisara wrote:

I have done some more debugging on this one. An easy way to reproduce the

<SNIP>

The log shows that the sense data returned by the commands differ: with 2.6.22 the bytes 4f and 2c (tf.lbam and tf.lbah) are not returned. Both of the status commands fail to return these bytes but the tests in smartctl are more strict for the second case. This is why the second status command seems to be failing.

<SNIP>

Kai, Thanks for the analysis.

<SNIP>

So when smartmontools sees 0 and 0 in those positions it pulls out the red card for that device. My guess is that libata in lk 2.6.22 is corrupting those FIS device to host register values.

Kai, Doug: thank you very much for tracking down the source of this problem.

Jeff: OK, from what I am reading here I think that this is a genuine libata/kernel bug. But I'm out of my depth here, so the ball is in your court. Hopefully you'll understand what's going on and how to fix it.

Cheers,
	Bruce