Re: SATA exceptions

Hi;

09 Tem 2007 Pts tarihinde, Tejun Heo şunları yazmıştı:
> > 07 Tem 2007 Cts tarihinde, Robert Hancock şunları yazmıştı:
> >> It's not the free space on the drive that matters, it's the number of
> >> free sectors in the spare sector pool on the drive, which is invisible
> >> to software.
> >>
> >> Your SMART log shows 309 reallocated sectors. That seems somewhat high..
> >
> > Ah sorry to misinterpret the content:), its a quiet new piece of hardware
> > (at most ~1.5 month old) and  "Reallocated_Event_Count" constantly
> > increases (currently its increased to 313) and although i'm not 100
> > percent sure these errors only occured with kernels > 2.6.18 (or 2.6.18
> > didn't report these cause according to kern.log these only visible with
> > 2.6.22+)
>
> OS and driver can't really do much about the reallocation event.  Some
> number of reallocations is okay but if you it going up constantly, you
> probably have a dying disk.

Hmm its really interesting, then it means 3 piece of ~1.5 month old laptops
dieing for same decease :) or they already somehow defectived (or we are
damaging them but it sits on my table happily all that time :P)

> > We bought 3 HP Pavillon dv2385ea and one of them only runs with 2.6.18
> > and its smartctl output follows as a reference;
> >
> >   5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   253   253   010    Pre-fail
> > 196 Reallocated_Event_Count 0x0032   253   253   000    Old_age
>
> Hmm... This is pretty high too.  Do the counts increase on this machine
> too?

Yes, seems so (i'm adding Onur and İsmail to CC as other machines owner) and
here is the smart logs for this 3 seperate machine, its interesting me and
İsmail runs  2.6.22 (over 300 reloacations occured for both of us) and Onur
uses 2.6.18 (0 relocation occured for him)

[1] http://cekirdek.pardus.org.tr/~caglar/SATA/smart.caglar
[2] http://cekirdek.pardus.org.tr/~caglar/SATA/smart.ismail
[3] http://cekirdek.pardus.org.tr/~caglar/SATA/smart.onur

Cheers
--
S.Çağlar Onur <[email protected]>
http://cekirdek.pardus.org.tr/~caglar/

Linux is like living in a teepee. No Windows, no Gates and an Apache in house!