Re: understanding firmware loader for speedtouch (kernel 2.6.21.5)

2007/7/9, Indan Zupancic <[email protected]>:
On Mon, July 9, 2007 10:49, mikie wrote:
> 2007/7/6, Indan Zupancic <[email protected]>:

>> > It loads it itself, using some external software!
>>
>> For information, it generates a hotplug event and the kernel calls the
>> program written at /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug with certain information.
>> That used to be /sbin/hotplug, became later udev, but today in general
>> udev reads the uevents generated by the kernel.
>
> On my system the /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug points to /sbin/hotplug.
> I copied your script to /sbin/hotplug and also added simple logging,
> so I can see whenever the script is being started. It turns out that
> the script is not started at all by the kernel...
>
> I am afraid that the kernel generates uevents only, could this be true?

Not really, it would break backward compatibility, and if it were true,
they're remove the /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug setting too. As far as I know,
if it's set, that program will be executed, and if zero is written to it, only
uevents are generated.

Make sure that the script is executable (chmod +x)

Yes I have set it to be executable:
root@srv:/sbin# ls -lah hotplug
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root          934 Jul  9 09:13 hotplug

and has "#!/bin/sh"
at the top, or else it won't work. If that's already the case, I've no idea.

root@srv:/sbin# head hotplug
#!/bin/sh
set -e

Everything looks OK, but still it does not fire up the script...

Regards,
MK