Re: Determine version of kernel that produced vmcore

Hello,

* Dan Aloni <[email protected]> [2007-07-06 16:58]:

> Redhat has a makedumpinfo util which they intend to use as slim
> kernel-version-independent utility on kdump rootfs in order to
> save /proc/vmcore in a compact manner.

I think you mean makedumpfile, don't you?

> A patch that I am working on will make it possible to integrate
> the output of 'makedumpinfo -g' into vmlinux as the final build
> stage of the kernel. This information will be presented itself
> as /proc/kcore.info for the first kernel throughout its entire
> execution.

That sounds good. But I doubt that kernel developers like the idea of
needing another utility in the build process ...

> Then inside initramfs of the first kernel, a small
> util will modify the vmlinux file of the kdump kernel before it
> gets loaded so that another special file appearing as
> /proc/vmcore.info under the kdump kernel will present the same
> info.

Where do you get the info from? If you're in the kdump initrd,
then the kdump kernel is already loaded. Do you want to attach the
info from the crashed kernel to the initrd of the kdump kernel?

Thanks,
   Bernhard