Re: Hibernation Redesign

Nick Piggin wrote:
Jeremy Maitin-Shepard wrote:

Al Boldi <[email protected]> writes:

Pavel Machek wrote:

We are stuck with refrigerator for now, and at least for hibernation,
I don't see any feasible alternative.

Feasible alternative?

I posted such an alternative to the list a short time ago: hibenrating
from a *new* kernel space/user space that is created by loading a new
kernel in a manner similar to what is done for kexec crashdumps.  Unlike
kexec crashdumps, however, it would not require reserving any memory at
boot, because the necessary memory (maybe 16MB or 64MB) can be freed
just before hibernating, and device drivers can be properly stopped so
that DMAs don't stomp over certain memory.

This is the Morton method, isn't it? :) I remember it sounding like a
very good idea when he brought it up, but I can't remember the details
of why it was rejected or what the problems were.

Hmm, and it seems like I won't get to know without reliving what
looks like an epic flamewar starting.... here:

  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/374889

However from a quick look it seems like the only reason is the RAM
overhead of a reserve area. It seems unfortunate that it was
dismissed so quickly because of that problem (which could be
improved).

--
SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.