Re: v2.6.21.5-rt19

On Sat, 2007-07-07 at 11:24 +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> > > Maybe someone remember me whining about troubles with 2.6.21-rt2..18
> > > on my Core2 T7200 laptop (fujitsu-siemens amilo i1520).
> > >
> > > Althought I'm still with my fingers crossed, I can tell the good
> > > news are that 2.6.21.5-rt19 (and -rt20) does behave far better now
> > > on the very same box.
> >
> > Yes, it works much better indeed...
> >
> > Ingo: is there a place where I can read about the changes in different
> > rtxx releases? What is new/better/fixed in rt20? (I see scheduler
> > stuff in a diff from rt19 to rt20 but I don't really know what it
> > means).
>
> and rt18 was a -rt-only NOHZ fix, that bug got introduced in rt11 when
> CFS was merged.
>
> i _think_ Rui might have seen two separate problems. Perhaps by the time
> we fixed the first problem (which Rui saw since -rt2) we introduced the
> other one via -rt11 - which then got fixed in -rt19.

Ahh, CFS is now part of rt, I was obviously not paying attention... I'm
really trying to provide a "stable" rt kernel for audio usage and
including another subsystem into rt is - IMHO - not going to help.
What's the chance of splitting things?

> btw., we'd love to get more feedback regarding CFS. CFS is a completely
> new scheduler for Linux.

Then I'd rather have it separate from rt.

> It has a design centered around keeping
> application latencies down, so it is ultimately real-time friendly, and
> it should also make things work better for desktop-ish and audio-ish
> stuff as well. (even under SCHED_OTHER)

Maybe this is CFS related? (tail of a thread in the Planet CCRMA mailing
list):

On Sun, 2007-07-08 at 15:26 -0400, Hector Centeno wrote:
> Ok, so just to confirm, that 2.6.21-0182.rt19.1.fc7.ccrmart works fine
> on my desktop but on my laptop it makes Firefox and Tomboy to crash.
> On the same laptop using 2.6.21-0182.rt17.1.fc7.ccrmart there is no
> problem.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Hector
>

> On 7/7/07, Hector Centeno <[email protected]> wrote:
>         Hi Fernando,
>
>         I do have Flash installed but for me Firefox crashes when
>         trying to
>         access gmail (which AFAIK doesn't use Flash, does it?). Right
>         now
>         Firefox is frozen and I'm typing this email using Konkeror (in
>         Gnome).
>         This is ps' output:
>
>         hector    3595  1.1  2.2 194352 46336 ?        D    16:25
>         0:03
>         /usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.4/firefox-bin
>
>         I think the problem is not present in my Desktop but I have to
>         double
>         check. In the same laptop using the stock fedora kernel both
>         Tomboy
>         and Firefox work fine. My laptop has a centrino duo processor,
>         2 gigs
>         of ram and the Inte GMA950 graphics chip.
>
>         Hector

I managed to completely hang firefox (fc7) with flash 9 installed
(unkillable even with -9). Does not seem to happen with flash 7. Have
not tried yet with gmail and flash uninstalled. I'll try to strace it to
see when/why it hangs.

-- Fernando