Re: [patch 10/10] Scheduler profiling - Use immediate values

On Sat, Jul 07, 2007 at 06:03:07AM +0200, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 06, 2007 at 10:35:11PM -0400, Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
> > * Adrian Bunk ([email protected]) wrote:

> > > Using a different kernel for tracing still fulfills all the requirements
> > > listed in section 5 of your paper...
> > >

> > Not exactly. I assume you understand that rebooting 1000 live production
> > servers to find the source of a rare bug or the cause of a performance
> > issue is out of question.
> >
> > Moreover, strategies like enabling flight recorder traces on a few nodes
> > on demand to detect performance problems can only be deployed in
> > production environment if they are part of the standard production
> > kernel.
> >
> > Also, managing two different kernels is often out of question. Not only
> > is it a maintainance burden, but just switching to the "debug" kernel
> > can impact the system's behavior so badly that it could make the problem
> > disappear.
>
> As can turning tracing on at runtime.
>
> And you can always define requirements in a way that your solution is
> the only one...

On large production environments, you always lose a certain percentage of
machines at each reboot. Most often, it's the CR2032 lithium battery which
is dead and which causes all or parts of the CMOS settings to vanish, hanging
the system at boot. Then you play with the ON/OFF switch and a small
percentage of the power supplies refuse to restart and some disks refuse
to spin up.

Fortunately this does not happen with all machines, but if you have such
problems with 1% of your machines, you lose 10 machines when you reboot
1000 of them. Those problems require a lot of man power, which explains
why such systems are rarely updated.

Causing that much trouble just to enable debugging is clearly
unacceptable, and your debug kernel will simply never be used. Not to
mention the fact that people will never trust it because it's almost
never used !

Regards,
Willy