Re: [git pull][resend] Input updates for 2.6.22-rc7

On Thursday 05 July 2007 19:09, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Thu, 5 Jul 2007, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> >
> > Please consider pulling from:
> >
> >         git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/dtor/input.git for-linus
>
> There's somethign wrong with your emails, and it's very irritating.

Oops, sorry.

> I cannot just cut-and-paste the whole line, because your tabs and spaces
> aren't tabs and spaces, they are some horrible abomination.

Yes, for some reason Kmail somethmes does this when cut-and-pasting
from another email. I don't think it does it when cutting and pasting
from anywhere else...

> What _looks_ like a tab above, when I save it and look at it with "od", it
> shows it true nasty life: it's not a tab, and it's not even eight spaces,
> it's four copies of the byte sequence '\302\240 ' ('\xC2\xA0\x20'), ie
> some horrid nasty three-byte sequence where one character is a space, and
> the previous two characters are some utf-8 abomination.
>
> I have no idea what kind of crap you use to generate it, and quite
> frankly, I don't want to know. I just want it to stop, so that when I
> cut-and-paste, I don't get random UTF-8 characters that just *look* like
> spaces but don't act like it, and cause my shell to very reasonably whine
> about the result.
>
> I think the "c2 a0" character is the utf-8 representation of a &nbsp
> (non-breaking space), but:
>  - you are damn well sending text
>  - it's followed by a regular space, so it's stupid
>  - please don't do it.
>
> It says your user-agent is "Kmail", and maybe there is some way to fix it.
> And if kmail is correct, please make a bug-report to the kmail people.
> Sending hidden invisible utf-8 crap that looks like space, but doesn't act
> like it, is just damn impolite by kmail. I assume you weren't even aware
> of the random crud you are sending out?

I was not... The copy I got from LKML looks fine in Kmail, Gmail and
MS Outlook.

The thing is I like Kmail because it never screwed up patches that I sent
out. I guess I will just stop cutting and pasting e-mails and just adjust
my script that generates changelog and diffstat. The issue may even be
already fixed in newer versions of Kmail, I am a little behind times with
my setup...

--
Dmitry