Re: [git pull][resend] Input updates for 2.6.22-rc7

On 06/07/07, Linus Torvalds <[email protected]> wrote:

On Thu, 5 Jul 2007, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> It says your user-agent is "Kmail", and maybe there is some way to fix it.
> And if kmail is correct, please make a bug-report to the kmail people.

Ok, googling for kmail, I think it really is kmail doing it, because I
find others complaining about the same idiocy.

Btw, the others who noticed this weren't _nearly_ as polite as I am about
kmail.

Apparently kmail - at least when cutting-and-pasting - will actually turn
every other space into an NBSP for some internal idiotic reason. So even
if you _originally_ had 8 spaces, Kmail will apparently corrupt your data
when cutting-and-pasting according to that other report I saw.

Please stop using kmail, or ask for it to get fixed.

Or just configure it differently.  I use kmail sometimes (either that
or pine) and with a little config tweaking (and a few rules of thumb
about use) it can actually be made to behave resonably fine.

Here are a few tips;
 - Don't cut'n'paste stuff into kmail
 - Go to Settings --> Configure KMail, select Composer, remove the
checkmark from "Word wrap at column ...".
 - Go to Settings --> Configure KMail, select Composer, go to the
Charset tab, make the list read us-ascii, iso-8859-1   - just listing
those two (in that order) seems to generate working mails.
 - Go to Settings --> Configure KMail, select Accounts, go to the
Sending tab, make "Message property" be "Allow 8-bit".

When writing a new message, check the Options menu, make sure Wordwrap
is not enabled and that Encoding is us-ascii or iso-8859-1 (or
possibly something else) - the auto-detect option seems to sometimes
get things wrong.

When inserting a patch or similar into a mail, use Message-->"Insert File"

I'm constantly surprised by just how _many_ ways MUA's find to screw up.

'pine' actually seems to work pretty damn well once you disable the
flowed-text "feature".

It's not like they seem to all have some stupid bug. It's more like they
seem to all have willfully added code explicitly to mess up the content of
email, often with the goal of making it "look" right, even if it's crap.

In this case, it means that you cannot cut-and-paste simple ASCII text,
because Kmail messed up.

Yeah, email is old, and there are too many ways to do things, too many
conflicting RFC's, compeeting commercial implementations etc etc etc -
the whole thing could do with a from-scratch re-implementation (as if
that's going to happen)...

--
Jesper Juhl <[email protected]>
Don't top-post  http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/T/top-post.html