Re: md device files missing at boot time

Hi folks,

I can temporarily only read your answers in archives.
Thank you for your reaction.
It would be nice, to send responses directly to me too:
"linux-kernel-news at e-dict".
Hopefully this answer doesn't break the thread.
If it does:
sorry for it, there were some mail mail problems
which stopped our server receiving mails from this list
and now the list stopped sending mails to me :-)

@Kay
How did you build the initramfs image? /sbin/mkinitrd?

Did you add md support to the image?

Both "Yes".
included modules are (in opensuses /etc/sysconfig/kernel:
INITRD_MODULES="raid1 md reiserfs sym53c8xx pata_serverworks edd"

@J.A. Magallon
yes the partitions in question are all typed "fd"

neither all-drivers-compiled-into-the-kernel nor the
module using version work.
The only difference I find is the exit to an emergency shell
when using modules via initrd while the "only kernel version"
stops commentless when it is time to use /dev/md0 for the first
time.

"dmesg" is not found after exiting to the shell.
I can only post the content of a log file which was written
into the initramfs (which seems to be also a trace of the
in and output of the emergency console).

Content of the log file (/var/log/boot.msg):

Boot logging started on /dev/tty1(/dev/console) at Thu Jul  5 06:36:35 2007

Creating device nodes with udev
Waiting for device /dev/md0 to appear: ..............................not found -- exiting to /bin/sh
sh: no job control in this shell
$ dmesg
sh: dmesg: command not found
$ fdisk
sh: fdisk: command not found
$ ls /bin
bash  cat  chmod  date  ipconfig.sh  ln  ls  mkdir  mknod  mount  pidof  rm  run-init  sed  sh  sleep  true  umount

Question: is the order "creating dev nodes with udev" and after
that "loading the modules" correct?

Thanks - Ingo.