Re: blink driver power saving

On Monday 02 July 2007 19:50:00 Stephen Hemminger wrote:

> The patch makes sense. You don't need to poll every jiffie to find
> out if system has panic.

The blink driver doesn't run on panic (or at least not on panic on
the same kernel). It runs always. It was designed to do the blinking
while the kdump kernel runs and writes the dump.

> But I agree with Linus, it is the kind
> of patch that doesn't belong in the mainline kernel.  Every developer
> seems to have built up a set of crappy/fragile debug tools, but these
> don't belong in the wild.

Would you argue then that kdump also doesn't belong into the kernel?
The patch was designed to plug a hole in kdump (no visual feedback)

-Andi