Re: Is it time for remove (crap) ALSA from kernel tree ?

On Friday 29 June 2007 12:30:54 Florian Schmidt wrote:
> Sadly it seems pretty much everyone, especially closed source apps get this
> wrong (but to be fair: loads of open source software gets it wrong, too,
> ekiga for example).

Isn't that because there's a perferct documentation for programming ALSA but
authors of those apps can't read?

> Well, like i said, the application in question should allow you to enter
> any pcm name you want. If it doesn't it's broken.

But in real life I have to use flashplayer, for example.

> I don't know of any. But any text editor will do.

I am with Linux since 1997, I know bunch of them. I used to use XEmacs, but
now I prefer VIM. But I am not a .asoundrc programmer, I want to be just a
user.

> The flashplayer has been another one of these badly coded apps ;) Maybe
> that has changed in recent releases.
[...]
> But skype is a piece of crap anyways. It also doesn't get any sounds out of
> my other [non ice1712] card. Neither in OSS nor in ALSA mode. Not a beep.
> And yeah, the device is available [and even has hardware multiplexing]..

> But 99.9% of problems people have with ALSA are due to badly coded apps..

"Those apps are crap and ALSA is perfect". I hoped some ALSA-developers would
think of improving usability of ALSA, or I would not talk here.

> I agree. ALSA is not very userfriendly. Especially the missing proper
> device enumeration support is a problem.

It's good that people are not thinking that ALSA is already perfect, it leaves
us (me) a hope it will be improved.
--
Anton Petrusevich