Re: man-pages-2.59 and man-pages-2.60 are released

> > Well, I think all that LFS seems to want is links that are
> > stable "for a while" (since I don't suppose that they want
> > to use really old tarballs in any case). So, for
> > the benefit of LFS, I'll just be less aggressive about
> > moving tarballs into "Old" (I'll leave them sitting in
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/docs/manpages/
> > for a few months at least.)
>
> If this helps, here is the version information.
>
> Stable LFS (version 6.2, released on August 3, 2006) tells users to
> download
> man-pages 2.34 (two releases old at that time). LFS-6.3 is expected to be
> released in two months or so, thus a one-year period before moving
> tarballs
> to "Old" should be enough even for stable LFS books (and if we agree on
> that, I'll close http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/ticket/2037 as
> invalid).
>
> Thanks for cooperation.

Alex: Okay -- I've set up a script that ensures that
the "Archive" directory (was "Old") always includes links
to the latest versions of the pages, so you can be guaranteed
that links in Archive should always be stable (I don't know
that I'll ever actually remove files from that directory).

Rob: the script also creates a LATEST-IS-m.xy file in
/pub/linux/docs/manpages.

Cheers,

Michael
--
Michael Kerrisk
maintainer of Linux man pages Sections 2, 3, 4, 5, and 7

Want to help with man page maintenance?
Grab the latest tarball at
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/docs/manpages ,
read the HOWTOHELP file and grep the source
files for 'FIXME'.