Re: Is it time for remove (crap) ALSA from kernel tree ?

On 06/28/2007 02:42 PM, Anton Petrusevich wrote:

Please always use Reply-to-All on this list -- subscribers here like to also get personal copies.

I have ICE1724, a very good sound card to my taste, works like a charm.
But with ALSA I had a really hard time to configure it properly, wanna
see my .asoundrc?

Not particularly. I don't count as a great fan of the config file syntax and don't use any configuration myself. I moreover don't own an ICE1724 card, so I'm not familiar with it's possibilities and quirks and generally, if this thread turns into guiding every user on the list through his/her respective problems with ALSA I have to respectfully decline...

And I am not sure I have done it right (== the best possible way). I have
read everything on http://www.alsa-project.org/documentation.php about
.asoundrc. When I am using Skype I have to rename .asoundrc to something
else in order to get it working.

The first thing I don't know is why you need an .asoundrc at all. I've CCed the alsa-user list -- some subscribers to it probably have experience with ice1724 and might be able to get you specific advice if you want.

Renaming .asoundrc seems wrong in any case. If you need anything special for Skype, it seems you could always define it in a seperate "skype" PCM and use that only from skype.

When I am doing some changes to .asoundrc I have to restart the app.

Yes, as far as I'm aware you do.

Is there a tool which can be used to configure .asoundrc?

vi.

I want to be able to hear sound from flashplayer on my reciever or in my headphones -- how?

Not sure? Is your receiver on an analog output and are your headphones connected directly to a card output as well? In that case, "or" would seem to be just a mixer issue, and "and" would be dependent on hardware abilities and needs someone who knows your specific card and setup.

It's not quite clear to me how to get full duplex working with my
.asoundrc.

It's not working without an .asoundrc?

But -- I'll personally not continue this very specific subthread simply due to not having the hardware, nor great generic experience with an .asounrc due to not needing it myself. When I do use one, I alway start by googling up a few examples and take it from there. Perhaps someone from alsa-user will step in.

Rene.