Re: [AppArmor 00/44] AppArmor security module overview

On Wed, Jun 27, 2007 at 05:27:17PM -0700, Casey Schaufler wrote:

> [...]

Please.
I really wish this thread would stick to the technical matter and
dispense with the infernile sniping on one hand and stroking of
egos on the other.  Sheesh - some of us are actually trying to glean
something useful from all of this.

| > What you get by the code going into the upstream kernel tree is that
| > it a) adds some pseudo legitimacy to AppArmour (which I don't
| > personally think is warranted) and b) gets the work of keeping
| > apparmour working with upstream largely off of your back and in the
| > hands of the upstream community.
|
| Duh. Those are pretty much the reasons anyone goes through the
| trouble of getting anything upstream.
|
| > Neither of those are reasons why something should go into the tree.
|
| They reflect the corporate reality of the open source community.
| If you're going to go down the "open source isn't for money"
| rathole please take it elsewhere. I've heard the arguments so many
| times I can sing them to the tune of "Lady Madonna".
|
| > Frankly I think AppArmour is a joke,
|
| "SELinux, AppArmor, and Hilary Clinton walk into a bar ..."

Yawn.  Not funny. See above comment.

| > and all of this integration with
| > LSM business is just a face saving effort, nothing more.  And saving
| > face is not, and has never been, a reason for something to be put into
| > the upstream tree.
|
| Believe what you will. Crispin has been working with LSM from the
| inception those many years ago. He's been working on getting this
| module in for over a year. If you don't like his module go write
| your own and put him out of business.

Now this is getting really boring.  See above comment.
Can't we just stay on point?

--
Bill O'Donnell
SGI