Re: Linux Kernel include files

Arjan van de Ven <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-06-27 at 18:41 +0200, Joerg Schilling wrote:

>> Well, I did report these kind of problems many years ago and as it has not
>> been fixed after some years, I was asuming that it is still the way I see it
>> on Suse 10.0.
>
> I'd suggest reporting SuSE bugs to SuSE; that's more effective ;)
> (although I don't know how they will deal with bugreports against older
> versions)
>
> your bug looks certainly valid.. just you're not using the "proper"
> header set that the kernel developers suggest ;)

Even though you put the smiley there, it does not seem fair to expect people
to know the latest bits of kernel developement and deployment procedures
unless hanging around on lkml is a requirement for linux users. I'm just
browsing that list, filtering and ignoring a lot. If I didn't do that, I
would not even suspect something like make headers_install to exist, nor
would I try to search for it.

@Jörg: The responsibility to maintain clean headers shifted only recently,
and there is possibly still a lot to do. If you can point out errors, they
can and probably will be fixed. But as you know, having a precise error
message or description does help.
--
W.I.N.D.O.W.S.:
 Wireless Intelligent Neohuman Designed for Observation and Worldwide Sabotage