Re: [AppArmor 00/44] AppArmor security module overview

Adrian Bunk wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 26, 2007 at 07:47:00PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
>
>> Do you agree with the "irreconcilable" part?  I think I do.
I am hoping for a reconciliation where the people who don't like
AppArmor live with it by not using it. AppArmor is not intended to
replace SELinux, it is intended to address a different set of goals.

>> I suspect that we're at the stage of having to decide between
>>
>> a) set aside the technical issues and grudgingly merge this stuff as a
>>    service to Suse and to their users (both of which entities are very
>>    important to us) and leave it all as an object lesson in
>>    how-not-to-develop-kernel-features.
>>
>>    Minimisation of the impact on the rest of the kernel is of course
>>    very important here.
>>
>> versus
>>
>> b) leave it out and require that Suse wear the permanent cost and
>>    quality impact of maintaining it out-of-tree.  It will still be an
>>    object lesson in how-not-to-develop-kernel-features.
> versus
>
> c) if [1] AppArmor is considered to be something that wouldn't
>    be merged if it wasn't already widely deployed by Suse: leave it out,
>    work on an ideal solution [2], and let Suse wear the one-time cost
>    of migrating their users to the ideal solution

We argue that the proposed patch is a viable solution for providing
AppArmor functionality. We would be happy for specific suggestions on
how to make it better.

> I'm not claiming to understand the technical details, but from both
> slightly reading over the previous discussions and the "What are the
> advantages of AppArmor over SELinux?" section in the AppArmor FAQ [3] my
> impression is that a main advantage of AppArmor are more user friendly
> userspace tools. Therefore, if [1] AppArmor is considered technically
> inferior to SELinux, it might still become more popular than SELinux
> simply because it's easier to use - and although it's technically
> inferior.
AppArmor's advantages come from the model, not the tools. AppArmor is
not inferior to SELinux, it is different than SELinux. Neither can
replace the other without horrid kludges.

Crispin

--
Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.               http://crispincowan.com/~crispin/
Director of Software Engineering   http://novell.com