Re: Question about fair schedulers

Alberto Gonzalez wrote:
On Saturday 23 June 2007, Kyle Moffett wrote:
On Jun 22, 2007, at 18:07:15, Alberto Gonzalez wrote:
Ok, so what will a fair scheduler do in this case? It is my
understanding that it would give 50% CPU to each task, resulting in
the video dropping frames. Is this correct?
Yes, that's correct.

What this *actually* means is that you want the media player to have
higher priority than the DVD ripping program.  Ergo you should run
"nice +20 my_dvd_burner" or "nice +20 my_vorbis_encoder" under CFS or
other fair schedulers.

Ok, that makes sense. The problem is that desktop users don't know about such things, so the ideal situation would be that the scheduler knows about it and does it for you.
Well, the scheduler can't really know that.  But the people who
write the dvd burning/ripping/encoding/viewing software
know what is needed, they can write their programs so they set useful priorities.

Helge Hafting