Re: Rules on how to use sysfs in userspace programs

On 6/24/07, Rob Landley <[email protected]> wrote:
On Sunday 24 June 2007 07:03:39 Kay Sievers wrote:
> On 6/24/07, Rob Landley <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > "It is planned to merge all three classification-directories into one
> > >  place at /sys/subsystem/,  following the current layout of the
> > > bus-directories."
> > >
> > > Means that /sys/subsystem/ will have a devices/ directory, full of
> > > symlinks to the devices, all in a flat list. Subsytem-global attribute
> > > files/directories are not mixed with the devices in the same directory
> > > like in /sys/class, it will also not contain any hierarchy like the
> > > layout of /sys/block.
> >
> > But will it still be possible to distinguish block devices from character
> > devices when teaching mdev to quickly scan for devices to populate /dev
> > in embedded systems using the "new" locations for things?
>
> Sure, all devices have a "subsystem" link, you have to readlink()
> that, and if it ends in "block, you have a blockdev. But as mentioned
> in an earlier mail, you should stop scanning /sys/devices/ and always
> come from the subsystem directories, so you get "block" for free.

I'm not scanning /sys/devices, I'm scanning /sys/block and /sys/class which
this document implies are deprecated and going away.

No. "It is planned to merge all three classification-directories into
one place at /sys/subsystem/", but the they will still be available
for backwards compat, and continue to export silly details like
differentiation between class- and bus-devices in the userspace
export.

I'm trying to figure
out what replaced them.  Now instead of following a path to naturally get
char devices in one pass and block devices in another, it seems I have to
readlink a symlink and do string manipulation to identify the device type
once I've found the device.

You enter a well defined directory of symlinks, that directory is
named "block". What's so difficult here?

I can do this, I'd just like to confirm it's "the way" now, and by "the way" I
mean Greg won't change his mind and yank it next month.

> > > If /sys/subsystem exists, just look at /sys/subsystem/*/devices/*, you
> > > will find every kernel device here, with exactly the logic to access
> > > it. Every device with a "dev" file, it is a char device, unless
> > > $SUBYSTEM=="block".
> >
> > Oh good.  That last sentence contains the heuristic I need.

Ok, hang on, looking back on this I'm confused again.

When you say /sys/subsystem are you referring to a literal path (which my sys
directory currently doesn't have a subdirectory named "subsystem"), or do you
mean /sys/$SUBSYSTEM where today I have /sys/class and /sys/block?

"It is planned to merge ..." Today it exists only as a patch and will
show up when the block-conversion eventually gets merged. It will be
/sys/subsystem/$SUBSYSTEM/, just like /sys/bus looks today but
containing _all_ devices from _all_ subsytems in _one_ place with
_one_ access rule. Again, please look at the udev or HAL code, it's
all pretty easy to understand by reading the code.

> > > If /sys/subsystem/ doesn't exist, you have to search all through
> > > /sys/bus/, /sys/class/, /sys/block/, every directory with completely
> >
> > No, only /sys/class and /sys/block.  Currently, /sys/class contains char
> > devices and /sys/block contains block devices.  You don't have to invoke
> > mknod for a bus.
>
> Sure, you have! There are devices in /sys/bus which export device
> nodes, and the number will just grow.

I have yet to encounter any, could you give me some examples?

find /sys/bus -name dev

There are only symlinks in /sys/bus, no attributes to "find" here.

Nope, nothing...

Usb and firewire have device nodes at bus devices.

 $ ls -l /sys/bus/usb/devices/*/dev
 /sys/bus/usb/devices/1-2/dev
 /sys/bus/usb/devices/4-1/dev

Would these device nodes be char devices, or block devices, or... something
else entirely?  (The practical distinction between /sys/class and /sys/block
used to be that one contained char devices and the other block devices.  I
could work with that.  I'm sad to see it going away...)

SUBSTEM=="block" are block devices, everything else are char devices.
Class-  or bus-devices can be anything, you need to know the subsystem
to distinguish them.

Unfortunately the "dev" file itself does not contain "c123:123",
"b234:8" that would be the proper solution, but reading the subsytem
works fine too for a long time.

> That's why the document states: "There is no such thing like class-,
> bus-, physical devices, interfaces, and such that you can rely on in
> userspace. Everything is just simply a "device". Class-, bus-,
> physical, ... types are just kernel implementation details, which
> should not be expected by applications that handle devices."

Whether you feed "b" or "c" to mknod is a kernel implementation detail?

Please ...

Are you unifying char and block devices so mknod doesn't have to distinguish
between them anymore?

No.

> > I'm very interested in helping out with it, and updating mdev based on
> > the documentation rather than the source code, but not until after OLS I
> > expect. :)
>
> Sure, any help is welcome here.

What I've had to do each time was install a new kernel, find out what had
changed by examination, and update programs to work with the new stuff.

I'd like to be able to do it from documentation.

Sure, that would be nice. any help documenting it in the right way, is
appreciated.

Thanks,
Kay