Re: -Os versus -O2

On Sun, Jun 24, 2007 at 05:58:46PM -0700, Arjan van de Ven wrote:

> > I wouldn't care if CONFIG_CC_OPTIMIZE_FOR_SIZE was hidden behind
> > CONFIG_EMBEDDED, but as long as it's available as a general purpose
> > option we have to consider it's performance.
>
> I think you are missing the point. You tell the kernel to
> OPTIMIZE_FOR_SIZE. *over performance*. Sure. Performance shouldn't be
> EXTREMELY pathetic, but it's not; and if it were, it's a problem with
> the gcc version you have (and if you are a distro, you can surely fix
> that)

My point is commit c45b4f1f1e149c023762ac4be166ead1818cefef

CC_OPTIMIZE_FOR_SIZE is currently known as an experimental feature to
improve the _performance_.

> > The interesting questions are:
> > Does -Os still sometimes generate faster code with gcc 4.2?
> > If yes, why?
>
> on a system level, size can help performance because you have more
> memory available for other things.

For a given gcc version, there's a finite number of differences between
-Os and -O2.

The interesting question is for which differences with gcc 4.2 we want
the -Os version in the kernel for best performance. This should then be
controllable through gcc options.

> It also reduces download size and
> gives you more space on the live CD....

That's a different point.

If you don't care about performance but care about size then -Os is
the best choice.

> if you want to make things bigger again, please do this OUTSIDE the
> "optimize for size" option. Because that TELLS you to go for size.

Agreed, but CONFIG_CC_OPTIMIZE_FOR_SIZE should again be under
CONFIG_EMBEDDED.

cu
Adrian

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.