Re: Is it time for remove (crap) ALSA from kernel tree ?

On 25/06/07, Carlo Wood <[email protected]> wrote:
On Sun, Jun 24, 2007 at 09:57:24PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> > Sory Alan but I don't want philosophical/historical discuss.
> > Try to answer on question "ALSA or OSS ?" using *only* technical arguments.
>
> We dropped OSS for ALSA for technical reasons. Those being that ALSA
> - has a better audio API
> - is more flexible
> - provides OSS as emulation
> - supports more hardware

I sent a patch to the ALSA developers 4 years ago.
It was never included in the kernel :/

Did you try resending it?
Sometimes patches get missed, overlooked, dropped on the floor by mistake etc.

[snip]

My (four year old) patch can be found here:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~carlo17/alsa/index.html

I STILL think that ALSA should restart the stream after an underrun,
but I am not someone who asks twice :p usually.

When it comes to getting patches into mainline, asking twice (or more)
is sometimes required, and it's considered your responsability as
submitter to resend a patch if noone reacts to it the first time
around.

--
Jesper Juhl <[email protected]>
Don't top-post  http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/T/top-post.html