Re: limits on raid

[email protected] wrote:
On Fri, 22 Jun 2007, David Greaves wrote:

That's not a bad thing - until you look at the complexity it brings - and then consider the impact and exceptions when you do, eg hardware acceleration? md information fed up to the fs layer for xfs? simple long term maintenance?

Often these problems are well worth the benefits of the feature.

I _wonder_ if this is one where the right thing is to "just say no" :)
so for several reasons I don't see this as something that's deserving of an atomatic 'no'

David Lang

Err, re-read it, I hope you'll see that I agree with you - I actually just meant the --assume-clean workaround stuff :)

If you end up 'fiddling' in md because someone specified --assume-clean on a raid5 [in this case just to save a few minutes *testing time* on system with a heavily choked bus!] then that adds *even more* complexity and exception cases into all the stuff you described.

I'm very much for the fs layer reading the lower block structure so I don't have to fiddle with arcane tuning parameters - yes, *please* help make xfs self-tuning!

Keeping life as straightforward as possible low down makes the upwards interface more manageable and that goal more realistic...

David