Re: [AppArmor 39/45] AppArmor: Profile loading and manipulation, pathname matching

On Thu, Jun 21, 2007 at 04:59:54PM -0400, Stephen Smalley wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-06-21 at 21:54 +0200, Lars Marowsky-Bree wrote:
> > On 2007-06-21T15:42:28, James Morris <[email protected]> wrote:
> >

> > And now, yes, I know AA doesn't mediate IPC or networking (yet), but
> > that's a missing feature, not broken by design.
>
> The incomplete mediation flows from the design, since the pathname-based
> mediation doesn't generalize to cover all objects unlike label- or
> attribute-based mediation.  And the "use the natural abstraction for
> each object type" approach likewise doesn't yield any general model or
> anything that you can analyze systematically for data flow.

No the "incomplete" mediation does not flow from the design.  We have
deliberately focused on doing the necessary modifications for pathname
based mediation.  The IPC and network mediation are a wip.

We have never claimed to be using pathname-based mediation IPC or networking.
The "natural abstraction" approach does generize well enough and will
be analyzable.

> The emphasis on never modifying applications for security in AA likewise
> has an adverse impact here, as you will ultimately have to deal with
> application mediation of access to their own objects and operations not
> directly visible to the kernel (as we have already done in SELinux for
> D-BUS and others and are doing for X).  Otherwise, your "protection" of
> desktop applications is easily subverted.

yes of course, we realize that dbus and X must be trusted applications,
this to will happen.  But it will happen piece meal, something about
releasing early and often comes to mind.

> > > You might define this as a non-technical issue, but the fact that AppArmor
> > > simply does not and can not work is a fairly significant consideration, I
> > > would imagine.
> >
> > If I restrict my Mozilla to not access my on-disk mail folder, it can't
> > get there. (Barring bugs in programs which Mozilla is allowed to run
> > unconfined, sure.)
>
> Um, no.  It might not be able to directly open files via that path, but
> showing that it can never read or write your mail is a rather different
> matter.

Actually it can be analyzed and shown.  It is ugly to do and we
currently don't have a tool capable of doing it, but it is possible.