Please release a stable kernel Linux 3.0

Hello gentlemen (and ladies ?)

As a power-user (NOT a hacker) I kindly ask you to please
change the naming scheme and come back to the traditional
model, and release a stable kernel while working on a
develoment branch.

I'm not on the [lkml] so should you answer please CC my
e-mail: [email protected]

All people who might read this know that traditionally
stable releases are even numbered and development branches
are odd numbered. This changed during late develoment of
2.6, according to my analysis because of the "invention" of
GIT which was itself necessary because of BitKeeper (insert
ooooooooold flame-wars here) and which allowed very dynamic
develoment. While this has been effective, alternative
voices (Mr Morton complaining that more bugs were added
than repaired, semi-stable semi-supported 2.6.x.y branches
where invented...) come more and more into the front. The
upcoming GPL v3 versus v2 debate will make things worse,
and we all know this. The un-ending stable ABI argument
goes into this same direction.

So I feel that a turning-point is coming where a really
really really (x 15) stable and reliable kernel is NEEDED.

You might think it's easy for me to simply "use" Linux and
complain while you're doing the hard stuff. As it happens,
the current development/stable model makes our life as
"users" more and more difficult. I'm using Linux since 1997
on a Mac thanks to LinuxPPC-1997, and I'm a hard pusher of
Linux whenever possible, sometimes against the common
sense, for example when I favor using National Instrument
cards with Linux drivers and custom written TCP/IP server
against easy LabView on Windows. While some of you dislike
closed source drivers, the choices "we users" face are:
- closed source drivers with closed source OS
- closed source drivers with open source OS
Please consider that we are living in a REAL world, and not
Disney-Land.

So I've demonstrated that from a "users" perspective a new
stable Linux would be of advantage. I'll now list what I
suggest for this new stable branch:

First, there are some fundamental ideas in the pipelines of
forthcoming releases which should be part of the next
"stable" Linux (Reiser4, the new scheduler from Mr. Molnár,
virtualisation...). So any next stable kernel branch should
include most of these recent developments, with the goal of
stabilising them. May-be a poll on [lkml] as to which
feature to include or not would help ?

Second, there was once a suggestion that 2.6 should be 3.0
since a lot of things changed:
- modules called .ko and not .o
- the output of the compile
- ... (I don't remember)
This was a brilliant suggestion and I whish another
consideration was given to that idea. You might even go a
step further and call kernel modules .kmod. Why on earth
call "kernel object" things that are "kernel modules" ? And
that every person calls "modules" and not "objects" ? I
know I know, in UNIX dynamic libraries are .so "shared
objects", so what ? A "module" is a "module" and NOT an
"object", call a cat a cat.

Third, while a stable ABI in a dynamically developed kernel
is a difficult/impossible/unwanted feature, it should be
possible to implement in a stable branch. This could even
be a distinction between "stable" and "development"
branches. And it would certainly help vendors of
closed-source drivers.

Fourth, a finnish developper on this list suggested several
times that people should be allowed to try stupid things.
Well, I'm doing just that.

As a conclusion, please, please, consider splitting again
the kernel in 2 distinct branches, one labeled
"development" suiting your needs and another labeled
"stable" for us users.

Sincerely yours,

Zoltán.