Re: How to improve the quality of the kernel?

On Thu, Jun 21, 2007 at 04:41:28PM +0300, Al Boldi wrote:
> Adrian Bunk wrote:

> > > If that's really true, which I can't imagine, then the proper way
> > > forward would probably involve a fully automated system.
> >
> > If you consider any kind of patch tracking valuable, you should either
> > do it yourself or write the tool yourself. In both cases, the
> > interesting parts would be how to integrate it into the workflow of
> > kernel development without creating extra work for anyone and how to get
> > the information into the got commits.
>
> Integration is the easy part, really.  Just filter all the patches from the
> mailing list into a patch-bin, then sort, categorize, and prioritize them,
> responding with a validation status to all parties involved.
>
> And after that comes the Tracking part.

Tracking shouldn't be much more than seeing what different threads are
about the same patch and then do more or less the same as what you
called "the easy part".

> > "requires a real PRO" and "would probably involve" sound like cheap
> > phrases for avoiding doing any work yourself.
>
> I have learned from this list that premature involvement is
> counterproductive.
>
> > Talk is cheap, but unless YOU will do it your emails will only be a
> > waste of bandwidth.
>
> Thanks, and good luck with involving people with this kind of response!

It's simply how kernel development works - not by talking but by doing
the work.

Many people thought long-term maintainance for 2.6.16 wouldn't make sense.
And I didn't start long discussions whether we need regression tracking -
I simply did it.

These are things that simply happened because I thought they were
important - and because I got my ass up to do them myself.

Don't expect anyone to jump up to do it only because of your talk.
YOU must offer something, and it will work if it's then accepted by
people.

If you think what you have in mind is both doable and important just do it.
You will find out where the problems lie yourself.
You might be able to prove me and all other people who think it would
not work wrong.
You might fail, e.g. because people will not adopt whatever you have in
mind because they don't like it for some reason, but that's part of how
development works, and you'll never know unless you try it.

> Al

cu
Adrian

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.