On Thu, 21 Jun 2007, Alexandre Oliva wrote:

On Jun 21, 2007, [email protected] wrote:

frankly, I haven't checked the licenses on the software. I'd suggest
going to www.tivo.com/linux and download all the source for all the
different versions there.

Yeah, thanks, I remembered someone had posted that URL the second
after a hit Send :-(

I've already got cmd.tar.gz and I'm looking at it now.

Thanks again,

by the way, it looks like there is one wireless driver that they ship
in some releases but don't provide the source for. but if you plan on
going after them for that you better go after everyone who ships
binary kernel modules.

Only copyright holders of Linux can go after them on matters of kernel
drivers.  Or is this driver derived from any software copyrighted by
myself?  Or did you mean the FSF, with whom I'm not associated in any
way other than ideologically?

from the page listed above

NOTE: 4.0.1a and later releases contain Atmel WLAN drivers in addition to the other network adapter drivers that are posted here. These WLAN drivers were received by TiVo directly from Atmel and are under the terms of a formal non-disclosure agreement, so we cannot publish them under the terms of the GPL version 2. Atmel has since released a different version of the drivers under the GPL version 2; however, that release does not change our prior obligation with Atmel. At this time, we have no plans to use Atmel's publicly released drivers in our development.

when I talked about 'going after tivo' I wasn't just refering to doing so with lawsuits. the way some people in this thread have acted I could see people trying to use this as 'the smoking gun' that proves that the evil tivo people didn't release everything they were supposed to.

modules are a grey area, some are clearly derived from the kernel and some are just as clearly not derived from the kernel, most are not as clear. I don't know the situation for this particular module, but that has nothing to do with this topic.

David Lang