On Jun 20, 2007, "H. Peter Anvin" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Alexandre Oliva wrote:
>>
>>> b) the manufacturer is able to update the device _in_ _the_ _field_.
>> Sure, it would be more costly, but it's not like the
>> law (or the agreements in place) *mandate* tivoization.

> The sad part is that the FCC, especially, are pretty fond of doing
> exactly that.

<broken-record>
  It does not mandate the use of *copyleft* Free Software in non-ROM
  such a way that the user cannot modify it.
</broken-record>

> This comes more from a general cluelessness about technology

And the meaning of tivoization ;-)

Tivoization doesn't mean "user can't modify".  It's more than that.

But I agree with the feeling.  It's like mandating knife manufacturers
to design ways to stop people from hurting or killing others with
knives.  So much for self defense...