Re: Versioning file system

>The directory is quite visible with a standard 'ls -a'. Instead,
>they simply mark it as a separate volume/filesystem: i.e. the fsid
>differs when you call stat(). The whole thing ends up acting rather like
>our bind mounts.

Hmm.  So it breaks user space quite a bit.  By break, I mean uses that
work with more conventional filesystems stop working if you switch to
NetAp.  Most programs that operate on directory trees willingly cross
filesystems, right?  Even ones that give you an option, such as GNU cp,
don't by default.

But if the implementation is, as described, wildly successful, that means
users are willing to tolerate this level of breakage, so it could be used
for versioning too.

But I think I'd rather see a truly hidden directory for this (visible only
when looked up explicitly).

--
Bryan Henderson                     IBM Almaden Research Center
San Jose CA                         Filesystems