On 6/19/07, Al Boldi <[email protected]> wrote:
Scott Preece wrote:
> On 6/19/07, Al Boldi <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> > > Tivo didn't make the Linux success. More Tivos can definitely undo it.
> >
> > I don't think so.
> >
> > First, it's not Linux that made success, but rather GNU that uses Linux
> > as its kernel.  And, believe it or not, when people say Linux, they
> > really mean GNU.  People could care less what kernel they were running,
> > as long as the system is up and runs the procs that offer their
> > services.
>
> ---
>
> Actually, for use in devices (like TiVos or cell phones), it is very
> definitely the kernel that is of interest. Many such devices use
> little or no GNU software (some manufacturers have consciously avoided
> it because of the possibility of shifts like the GPLv3 changes).

Sure, but was it Linux in embedded devices that made Linux what it is today,
or was it GNU/Linux?

It was Apache. Apache showed corporate users and small businesses
desperate to cash in on the Interweb c. 1995-1998 that they could do
it w/out paying some proprietary vendor and get better performance,
security and support to boot (I reported a bug in Apache JServ in 1998
and a fix was released by the time I came back from lunch 1/2 hour
later). Linux was a tool for UNIX sysadmins and admin wannabes to
practice their UNIX chops at home - or a conveniently inexpensive
platform on which to run Apache. Companies -- other than Linux
distributors -- didn't bet their business on it.

Apache's success greatly contributed to the corporate acceptance of Linux, IMHO.

Dave