Re: mea culpa on the meaning of Tivoization

On Jun 19, 2007, Hans-Jürgen Koch <[email protected]> wrote:

>> > Kernel programmers are short-sighted? What kind of arrogance is that?
>>
>> It's just stating the obvious.  The upgrade path is a nightmare.

> Well, maybe. Maybe this is a topic that needs further discussion.
> But I don't find it very important as we're not in a situation where
> we urgently need a new license.

Agreed.  It could have been discussed years ago, when the
clarification on GPLv2-only came up, but it's still not urgent, and
hopefully it never will be.  It wouldn't be a bad idea to think about
it, though.

Just in case it's not clear, this is in no way related with GPLv3.
It's just that GPLv3 discussions appear to get more people thinking
about relicensing, and then the "impossibilities" of doing it come up.