On Jun 19, 2007, [email protected] wrote:

> based on my experiance looking at the software released for tivos, I
> think you are over-estimating these numbers. if there are more then a
> dozen people producing things that are good enough to be useful and
> releasing their results as opensource software I would be surprised.

Yup.

And how many more would there be should it not be tivoized?  More
hackers would buy the devices, a number of them with the explicit
intent and interest in modifying the software in it.

You're losing all that.

> and for all that the FSF is claiming that tivos can't being modified
> it's really not that hard to change.

But is it legal?

How many would contribute changes to a list where there are TiVo
people watching, which might expose these contributors to liabilities?