Re: Writing a driver for a legacy serial device

Hi Jean,

On 6/19/07, Jean Delvare <[email protected]> wrote:
Hi all,

I want to write a Linux kernel driver for a device which connects to
the legacy serial port. I started writing a driver, however I am
already stuck at the very beginning. The .connect function of my serial
driver is never called, and I just don't get why. I couldn't find any
documentation about writing such a legacy driver in Documentation nor
in LDD3. Is there anyone out there which could lend a helping hand?

I know that the device and my serial port both work. I can talk to the
device using minicom just fine. I have the following drivers loaded:

$ lsmod | grep 8250
8250_pnp               11648  0
8250                   23464  1 8250_pnp
serial_core            19392  1 8250

Serial: 8250/16550 driver $Revision: 1.90 $ 2 ports, IRQ sharing disabled
00:08: ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A

But I need to implement my driver in kernel space. My code looks like
this:

static struct serio_device_id taos_serio_ids[] = {
       {
               .type   = SERIO_RS232,
               .proto  = SERIO_ANY,
               .id     = SERIO_ANY,
               .extra  = SERIO_ANY,
       },
       { 0 }
};
MODULE_DEVICE_TABLE(serio, taos_serio_ids);

static struct serio_driver taos_drv = {
       .driver         = {
               .name   = "taos-evm",
       },
       .description    = "TAOS evaluation module driver",
       .id_table       = taos_serio_ids,
       .connect        = taos_connect,
       .disconnect     = taos_disconnect,
       .interrupt      = taos_interrupt,
};

static int __init taos_init(void)
{
       return serio_register_driver(&taos_drv);
}

static void __exit taos_exit(void)
{
       serio_unregister_driver(&taos_drv);
}

The problem is that taos_connect is never called. I suppose that I need
different values for .type, .proto or .id, except that I just don't
know what to put there. I tried a few random values without success.
What's the trick?

You need to load serport modue and play with inputattach utility.

--
Dmitry