Re: [ANNOUNCE] Btrfs: a copy on write, snapshotting FS

On Tue, 19 Jun 2007, Chris Mason wrote:

3. De-de-duplicate blocks on disk, i.e. copy them on write

I suppose that de-duplication itself would be done by some user space
process that would scan files, determine blocks with the same data and
then de-duplicate them by using syscall or IOCTL (2).

That would be very usable feature, which in most cases would allow to
shrink occupied disk space on 50-90%.

Have you references for this number?
In my experience one gets a lot of benefit from
the much simpler process of "de-duplication" of files.

Yes, I would expect simple hard links to be a better solution for this,
but the feature request is not that out of line.  I actually had plans
on implementing auto duplicate block reuse earlier in btrfs.

with COW de-duplication you can merge things that have vastly different permissions. hard-links can't be used if different people have write permission.

David Lang