On Jun 19, 2007, "Pekka Enberg" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi Alexandre,
> On 6/19/07, Alexandre Oliva <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Dispute this:
>>
>> non-tivoized hardware => users can scratch their itches => more
>> contributions from these users
>>
>> tivoized hardware => users can't scratch their itches => fewer
>> contributions from these users

> Maybe, but in what numbers?

We'll get to that.

> Furthermore, Linus has repeatedly explained to you why he (and bunch
> of other _kernel_ hackers -- this is a thread on LKML, remember)
> thinks it's stupid for a software license to restrict hardware
> design choices.

Most of these explanations carried the assumption that this would
lower the amount of contributions he'd get.  And this is precisely the
circular logic in their arguments, and this is why this argument is
intended to show the initial assumption is false.  But hey, maybe I'm
wrong, and it won't show that at all, and I'll be proved wrong, and
then there's going to be one more very vocal defensor of your ideals.

Now, if people want to keep on fooling themselves, I guess they can,
as long as they don't hurt others in the process.  If they try to fool
others, I feel it is my moral duty to intervene.