Re: mount-2.12r-ggk.tar.gz

On Tue, Jun 19, 2007 at 02:38:59PM +0200, [email protected] wrote:
> The present situation of util-linux and mount is not quite clear to me.
> On kernel.org under utils/util-linux nothing has happened for over a year,
> and there is also an empty utils/util-linux-ng.

 We use GIT for development, the utils/util-linux-ng is for releases.

  http://git.kernel.org/?p=utils/util-linux-ng/util-linux-ng.git
  http://userweb.kernel.org/~kzak/util-linux-ng/
  http://vger.kernel.org/vger-lists.html#util-linux-ng

> Anyway, Dirk Gerrits, René Gabriël and Peter Kooijmans sent me
> a patch to add support for shared subtrees to the mount from
> util-linux 2.12r, and I put up the result for ftp at
> ftp://ftp.win.tue.nl/pub/linux-local/utils/mount/mount-2.12r-ggk.tar.gz

 Hmm.. some distributions and also util-linux-ng already use Ram Pai's
 shared subtrees patch:

 http://git.kernel.org/?p=utils/util-linux-ng/util-linux-ng.git;a=commitdiff;h=389fbea536e4308d9475fa2a89e53e188ce8a0e3

> [By the way, this shared subtree stuff is a bit messy,
> and impossible to support correctly by mount without help
> from the kernel. So far the shared/slave/unbindable status
> of mounts is not visible in /proc/mounts or /proc/$$/mountstats.

 Unfortunately, you're right.

 We need something like /proc/PID/mounts_propagation
 (see 2nd patch in):
 http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/msg00136.html

> The above mount makes a feeble attempt to record these flags
> in /etc/mtab, but will fail in any nontrivial situation.]

 I don't think that mtab is a good place for this shared subtree
 stuff. The mtab needs to die.

    Karel

--
 Karel Zak  <[email protected]>