On Jun 17, 2007, Daniel Hazelton <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Sunday 17 June 2007 00:19:49 Alexandre Oliva wrote:
>> >
>> > It doesn't. The GPLv3 (dd4) makes that very clear. See the quote below.
>>
>> You left out the relevant bit:
>>
>> this requirement does not apply if neither you nor any third party
>> retains the ability to install modified object code on the User
>> Product (for example, the work has been installed in ROM).

> Ah, but giving the user half the key doesn't mean they still don't have access
> to the entire key. QED: Giving people half the key won't cut it under the
> GPLv3 (dd4)

I meant really giving, rather than giving a copy, or giving the
original and keeping a copy.

You could make it require a pair of signatures, one from the vendor,
that the vendor keeps, one from the user, that the vendor never sees,
too.  Like some bank PINs, it gets generated, used to generate some
hash (the signature for the initial installation), printed in an
envelope for you and stored in the package along with the machine.  Or
something like that.