Re: [patch] sched: accurate user accounting

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007, Balbir Singh wrote:

malc wrote:
On Fri, 15 Jun 2007, Balbir Singh wrote:

malc wrote:
On Thu, 14 Jun 2007, Ingo Molnar wrote:

[..snip..]

Now integral load matches the one obtained via the "accurate" method.
However the report for individual cores are of by around 20% percent.

I think I missed some of the context, is the accounting of individual
tasks
or cpustat values off by 20%? I'll try and reproduce this problem.

Neither actually, the individual core idle times reported via `/proc/stat'
are off by 20 percent, one over estimates and the other under estimates
and the sum is right on the mark.

Interesting, the idle time accounting (done from account_system_time())
has not changed. Has your .config changed? Could you please send
it across. I've downloaded apc and I am trying to reproduce your problem.

http://www.boblycat.org/~malc/apc/cfs/ has config for 2.6.21 an the diff against 2.6.21.4-cfs-v16.

I updated hog (can be found in the above directory) to call setitimer
with a bit saner values (apprantly tickless has profound effect on
itimers interface). While fooling around with this version of hog
on 2.6.21.4-cfs-v16 i stumbled upon rather strange behavior (the
screenshot is also at the address above, note that kernel was booted
with maxcpus=1)

[..snip..]

--
vale