> I read it: the flash contains everything from the bootloader to the
> kernel and file system. The bootloader contains the public key and
> checks if the kernel/fs
> are ok. That includes calculating hashes and checking signatures.
> No encryption/decryption there at all.
>
> Right?
>
> Then how hard would it be to reprogram the flash, to get rid of all
> this crap? Or to just put your public key there.

Legally totally impossible under DMCA, EUCD and friends

That why the GPLv3 has the distributor of the software both give
installation info (a key authorized on the device, not necessarily a key
authorized on all devices or even the same key as the manufacturer), and
declare he gaves up any DMCA-like right to legally forbid installation
by the user.

--
Nicolas Mailhot