On Fri, 2007-06-15 at 23:29 +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> Tivo has two choices: either it gives
> users the content they want to watch, or it goes out of business. Is
> that legitimate enough of a reason to restrict the hardware?

Can I submit that they could just rent the use of their machines? It
seems to me like that would work. People can copy the copy of Linux to
their hearts content, but do not own the machines. Its then up to people
if they feel comfortable with that.

If nothing else, a little label that says "This appliance contains free
software which you can copy, but not modify in place". In other words,
you can't treat our gizmos like you would a computer. Therefore we rent
them. Its up to you if you get one after knowing that.

> If you want to make a difference you shouldnt attempt to screw with
> Tivo, they are clearly the _victims_ of the content industry.

They are now more than ever a house hold word in every country. They
have the public at large championing them. I'd say they were a huge
success.

The situation you describe is very real however, I don't mean to negate
it. They did face undue hardship due to the stupid and unpredictable
industries that they built their business around.

But, they elected to do it. They deserve some sympathy and some kudos
for breaking ground, but I just can't quite see them as a total victim
in all of this. A victim never asked for it in the first place.

Best,
--Tim