Re: arch/i386/boot rewrite, and all the hard-coded video cards

On Wed, Jun 13, 2007 at 10:11:12PM -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Oleg Verych wrote:
> > Thus, text mode on modern hardware isn't useable that much, only with
> > Terminus font it is kind of normal (kudos to Dimitar Toshkov Jekov).
> > But it's only option to unfortunately sucking X11, even with memory
> > bandwidth, you are talking about.
>
> That's another reason to use the framebuffer console on laptops.

Last time i tried, it wasn't so much fun either. Mainly due to wild
cursor, that in normal text mode is well-behaved thing. Visually fb looks
much heavier. What's the benefit, if you see how windows in emacs are
painted? I don't know how giga-hertz/mem in cpu/sys-ram,
mega-hertz/ram in gpu are doing better job WRT to anything in visual
domain.

Also i don't know what to do in case of bugs/oops and "officially" closed
hardware specs on ATI chips{ref}.

About laptop. First and last time i ran new X11 (X.org) there, it drove
VGA fan really crazy. Don't know how it changed now, it was certainly due
to blindly switching 3D on. I don't want to remove *standard* drivers
because of that stupidness [see ref].

And after whole year being with Debian Sarge only, new application update
led me to just drop all that X stuff and run windoze (silently sold to me
with that laptop) if i need a stupid web browser with all that WEB 2.0
and Java crap...
____