Re: Runaway process and oom-killer

On Wed, Jun 13, 2007 at 10:49:29AM +0200, John Sigler wrote:
> Question 1: why isn't this output picked up by klogd and sent to the
> appropriate file (kern.log in my case)?

I guess not a question for lkml, most distros uses syslog-ng anyway.

> Question 2: how can I tell which process or kernel thread was hogging
> most of the RAM when the oom-killer kicked in?

Theoretically the one that was killed first but not for sure in
current mainline hence see below.

> Question 3: if myapp was hogging the RAM, then why did oom-killer snipe
> other processes (syslogd and boa) after it killed myapp?

Please try again after applying this monolith (proper submission was
on linux-mm but the monolith is easier to apply for tests like this):

   http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/andrea/patches/v2.6/2.6.22-rc4/oom-fixes-1