Re: [patch 3/3] Enable Aggressive Link Power management for AHCI controllers.

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> >>on/off doesn't really make sense if the question is "do you favor power
> >>or do you favor performance".......

Actually, it does if you think of it as "do you need hotplug right now or
not?".

> >How about just making it a numeric scale with 0 meaning no power saving
> >and then some fixed number of levels (e.g 0-9)?
>
> The original proposal seems far more intuitive than these alternatives.

There is nothing intuitive about the text or the levels.  All cases need
proper documentation.  I'd never expect link powersaving to kill hotplug,
unless I read the AHCI docs.

And enable/disable ain't intuitive either :(  But enable/disable is useful
to get stuff like SATA bay hotplug, dock/undock and other stuff that needs
hotplug to be working right, unless we can make that automatic so that power
saving is always disabled in all situations we'd need hotplug to be working?

  Henrique Holschuh