Re: [Intel-IOMMU 02/10] Library routine for pre-allocat pool handling

Andrew Morton wrote:
Where as resource pool is exactly opposite of mempool, where each time it looks for an object in the pool and if it exist then we return that object else we try to get the memory for OS while scheduling the work to grow the pool objects. In fact, the work
is schedule to grow the pool when the low threshold point is hit.

I realise all that.  But I'd have thought that the mempool approach is
actually better: use the page allocator and only deplete your reserve pool
when the page allocator fails.

the problem with that is that if anything downstream from the iommu layer ALSO needs memory, we've now eaten up the last free page and things go splat.

in terms of deadlock avoidance... I wonder if we need something similar to the swap token; once a process dips into the emergency pool, it becomes the only one that gets to use this pool, so that it's entire chain of allocations will succeed, rather than each process only getting halfway through...

But yeah it's minute details and you can argue either way is the right approach.

You can even argue for the old highmem.c approach; go into half the pool before going to the VM, then to kmalloc() and if that fails dip into the second half of the pool.